A traditional Welsh oak bardic chair made and awarded in 1911 at the Gwylfa chapel eisteddfod in the famous North Wales slate quarry town of Blaenau Ffestiniog.
Unfussy in Eisteddfod chair terms, it is simply carved with the chapel name and date, foliate decoration and a stylised lyre to the back splat.
Gwylfa Methodist Chapel, Manod, Blaenau Ffestiniog, was built in 1906 to the design of architect Rowland Jones of Caernarfon.
By the 1970’s the congregation had dwindled and the building was used as a motor garage before being demolished. The original date stone from the chapel remains embedded in a wall on the edge of the site.
Measurements: H: 46.5” (119cm); W: 22.5” (57cm); D: 20” (51cm).